26 September 2008

A late rant/tribute to Suomi

Right. So those who know me most likely know about my appreciation for Finland.

In May 2007, my friend and I spent three and a half weeks travelling around the country, getting to know all the quarks of the country and the people. Some of the funniest moments, greatest food and thirst-quenching ale of my short life were taken in on this adventure. In short, a good time was had by all.

When I woke up last Tuesday morning to a news report stating 'tragedy in Finland', I can very easily say that I was gob-smacked by what I was seeing and hearing. Again.
For the second time in under a year, a young man in Finland chose to (for whatever reason) take the lives of his peers at school, and then his own. 

It sucks. It pisses me off.

Hearing about more senseless death in a country that I know and love, triggered the same reaction that I had when this summer's ridiculous Greyhound bus incident took place. 
At first, my cheeks burned with embarrassment as I read countless comments on the Internet form people around the world (well, Americans mostly, because they're always there to take the piss out of Canada) saying how shocked they were that 'something like this could happen in Canada'. 'Shame on Canada' for not having stricter security.
Embarrassment quickly turned to defense. And thus, I felt very defensive of Finland and its reputation this week. 

I'm not going to post the killer's messages, photos or YouTube videos because I'm pretty sure he's received all the publicity he ever wanted by now. I don't care that he hunted, because hundreds and hundreds of people in Finland and Canada hunt. I don't care that he listened to black metal or dea
th metal music or whatever people want to call it, because it's on my iPod and I don't plan on hurting anyone.

What I WILL do, is focus on how wonderful Finland is.
In northern Europe (I've been told that apparently the Finns don't consider themselves Scandinavians) the
y are the underdogs, which automatically makes them cool in my humble opinion. Badgered by the Swedes and the Russians throughout history in the form of open war and modern day jokes, the Finns are used to having the piss taken. Not unlike Canadians.
I've always thought that Canada is to the U.S. what Finland is to Sweden. Think about it.
Also, the Finns
 have a great sense of humor, very self-depreciating. Not unlike myself.

They love hockey
, and 
are very good at it.
 They love beer, and are very good at making it and drinking it. They love the outdoors, but bitch about the cold like Canadians!
They are the makers of t
he Nokia phone, not the Japanese. 
They have one of the most unique dialects in the world: Aja hiljaa sillalla (means 'drive quietly on the bridge', and is supposedly one of the most pleasant sounding phrases of every language in the world).
Santa Clause is totally from Finland, for real.  Their Prime Minister, Tarja Halonen, looks like Conan O'Brien.
I could go on and on...
 Enjoy the video. Enjoy the pics. 

No comments: